Medication Management for Community-Based Organizations - CAN/HSO 34014:2019 (E)
This is the latest edition of CAN/HSO 34014:2019 (E) Medication Management for Community-Based Organizations Standard. This standard will be undergoing a periodic maintenance. HSO will review and publish this standard on a schedule not to exceed five years from the date of publication. It is intended to align with other HSO health service provider standards that apply to community-based organizations offering medication services.
The technical content of the standard consists of clauses, criteria and guidelines.
- Clause: Introductory statement for a set of criteria. It is not a goal statement.
- Criterion: A requirement that is to be evaluated. May be referred to as a sub-clause.
- Guideline: Additional information to help understand the criterion. It does not contain new information of evaluation content.
The clauses, criteria, and guidelines are grouped into eight sections:
- Planning the Medication Management System
- Training and Competency
- Prescribing and Ordering Medications
- Preparing and Dispensing Medications
- Engaging Clients in Medication Safety
- Administering Medications
- Assisting with Medications
- Evaluating Medication Management Activities
The standard specifies the requirements for community-based organizations to deliver quality and safe health services to patients and families. The standard was prepared by the HSO Technical Committee on Medication Management under the authority of the HSO Standards Steering Committee.
Standard Type: This standard is intended to be used as part of a conformity assessment.
The standard specifies the requirements for community-based organizations to deliver quality and safe health services to clients and families.
The standard provides:
- Community-based organizations with guidance on how to ensure quality and safety within their unique institutional context
- Policy makers with a blueprint for the requirements to designate and recognize community-based organizations in their jurisdictions
- External assessment bodies with measurable requirements to include in assessment programs
This standard is intended to be used in conjunction with standards that apply to community-based organizations. It is not intended to be used in isolation.
This standard applies to community-based organizations providing medication services. Community-based organizations include those that provide long-term care, community health services, developmental disability services, home care, hospice and palliative care, community mental health services, and rehabilitation.
HSO is an independent, not‑for‑profit corporation and is registered in Canada as a charity, in accordance with Canada Revenue Agency rules, with a mandate to enable and empower people around the world to continuously improve quality of care.
While designated as a Standards Development Organization by the Standards Council of Canada (SCC), HSO operates independently from SCC. HSO does not receive ongoing funding from SCC, other crown corporations of Canada, or federal or provincial entities.
HSO charges a nominal fee to help offset the associated costs of development and maintenance of HSO standards, as most HSO standards are self-funded.
If cost is a barrier to accessing an HSO standard, please email email@example.com and a team member will assist you.
Standards purchased online are delivered as printable PDF downloads. If you would like a copy printed and shipped to you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.