Antimicrobial Stewardship Program - CAN/HSO 5030:2020 (E)
The CAN/HSO 5030:2020 (E) Antimicrobial Stewardship Program Standard is a revision of HSO’s Antimicrobial Stewardship Required Organizational Practice. This standard can be used alone or in conjunction with CAN/HSO 3001:2019 (E) Medication Management.
The technical content of this standard is divided as follows:
- Planning and developing an antimicrobial stewardship program (ASP) using evidence-based practices
- Implementing and maintaining an antimicrobial stewardship program (ASP)
- Prescribing antimicrobials and providing care
- Monitoring antimicrobial use (AMU) and antimicrobial resistance (AMR)
This standard specifies the requirements to develop, implement, discuss, communicate, maintain, and evaluate an antimicrobial stewardship program (ASP) at the organizational level to address issues related to antimicrobial use (AMU) and antimicrobial resistance (AMR).
This standard will be undergoing a periodic maintenance. HSO will review and publish this standard on a schedule not to exceed five years from the date of publication.
Standard Type: This standard is intended to be used as part of a conformity assessment.
The technical content of the standard consists of clauses, criteria, and guidelines.
- Clause: Introductory statement for a set of criteria. It is not a goal statement.
- Criterion: A requirement that is to be evaluated. May be referred to as a sub-clause.
- Guideline: Additional information to help understand the criterion. It does not contain new information of evaluation content.
This standard specifies the requirements to develop, implement, discuss, communicate, maintain, and evaluate an antimicrobial stewardship program (ASP) at the organizational level, to address issues related to antimicrobial use and antimicrobial resistance.
The standard provides:
- Organizations that have or that want to implement an antimicrobial stewardship program (ASP) with requirements for a quality program
- Policy makers with a blueprint for the requirements to recognize organizations in their jurisdictions that have an antimicrobial stewardship program (ASP)
- External assessment bodies with measurable requirements to include in assessment programs
- Clients and families with information about what they can expect from organizations that have an antimicrobial stewardship program (ASP)
CAN/HSO 3050:2020 (E) Antimicrobial Stewardship Program is intended to be used by acute health care organizations.
HSO is an independent, not‑for‑profit corporation and is registered in Canada as a charity, in accordance with Canada Revenue Agency rules, with a mandate to enable and empower people around the world to continuously improve quality of care.
While designated as a Standards Development Organization by the Standards Council of Canada (SCC), HSO operates independently from SCC. HSO does not receive ongoing funding from SCC, other crown corporations of Canada, or federal or provincial entities.
HSO charges a nominal fee to help offset the associated costs of development and maintenance of HSO standards, as most HSO standards are self-funded.
If cost is a barrier to accessing an HSO standard, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and a team member will assist you.
Standards purchased online are delivered as printable PDF downloads. If you would like a copy printed and shipped to you, please email email@example.com.