Child, Youth and Family Services - HSO 82001:2017(E)
This standard is expected to contribute to several key outcomes for the clients using child welfare services:
- Programs and interventions are responsive to the needs of the client and are culturally safe, inclusive, and build on their strengths.
- The voice of the child or youth is heard, acknowledged, and respected, to the greatest extent possible, in all aspects of service delivery.
- There are multiple opportunities in the community whereby clients and families may receive services that allow the child to be healthier, better socially integrated and have improved long-term health and social outcomes.
- Family conflict, crises and emergencies are better managed because a plan and a process has been developed with input from clients and families.
- Family-based caregivers such as foster parents and kinship parents have higher confidence in their ability to perform their role because of increased access to ongoing education, training, and support.
It is important that this standard is considered by organizations that provide or oversee programs and services for children, youth, and families along side other policy and guidance documents such as those from the United Nations: Convention on the Rights of the Child, Eurochild: Compendium of inspiring practices- Early intervention and prevention in family, and regional human services bodies.
HSO is an independent, not‑for‑profit corporation and is registered in Canada as a charity, in accordance with Canada Revenue Agency rules, with a mandate to enable and empower people around the world to continuously improve quality of care.
While designated as a Standards Development Organization by the Standards Council of Canada (SCC), HSO operates independently from SCC. HSO does not receive ongoing funding from SCC, other crown corporations of Canada, or federal or provincial entities.
HSO charges a nominal fee to help offset the associated costs of development and maintenance of HSO standards, as most HSO standards are self-funded.
If cost is a barrier to accessing an HSO standard, please email email@example.com and a team member will assist you.
Standards purchased online are delivered as printable PDF downloads. If you would like a copy printed and shipped to you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.