Public Health Services V3 EN
The HSO International Public Health Services Standards focus on maintaining and improving the health of the population by designing and delivering services that affect groups and populations of people. The standards address the full range of the determinants of health to reduce inequities in health between and within populations.
The standards are based on the five core functions of a public health system: health assessment, health surveillance, health promotion, prevention, and health protection. The scope, roles and responsibilities, and approach the organization takes to address these functions will vary according to its size, structure, jurisdiction, and mandate. An essential part of effective public health service delivery is fostering partnerships and collaboration, and creating linkages with other organizations that provide services to the community.
The Public Health Services Standards include the following sections:
Building knowledge and understanding of population needs and assets
- Standard 1.0 - 2.0: The organization assesses population health status and maintains a comprehensive surveillance system to monitor public health threats.
Investing in public health services
- Standard 3.0: The organization plans and designs its programs and services to meet community health needs.
Engaging prepared and proactive staff
- Standard 4.0 - 5.0: The team's staff and service providers are qualified and competent, and the well-being and worklife balance of the team is promoted.
Creating conditions for meaningful engagement with partners
- Standard 6.0: The organization engages community partners and stakeholders to address population health needs.
Promoting the health of the population
- Standard 7.0 - 9.0: With its partners, the organization develops and implements effective public health communication strategies, contributes to public policy, and empowers and builds capacity within the community to promote the health of the population.
Investing in prevention for improved population health
- Standard 10.0 - 11.0: The organization engages in a wide range of prevention activities, including providing safe immunization services.
Protecting the health of the population
- Standard 12.0 - 13.0: The organization enforces public health laws and regulations to protect people from health and safety hazards, and is prepared to respond to public health emergencies.
Maintaining efficient information systems to support decision making
- Standard 14.0: The organization manages public health data and information to support evidence-informed decisions.
Monitoring quality and achieving positive outcomes
- Standard 15.0 - 16.0: The organization
Requesting printed standards: Standards purchased online are delivered as printable PDF downloads. If you would like a copy printed and shipped to you, please email email@example.com